Legal Representation for Federal Criminal Charges
We are Federal Criminal Defense Attorneys in Washington DC. If you have been charged with a federal crime, you want to hire an attorney who is experienced in federal criminal defense. Federal criminal charges are different from state criminal charges in important ways, including:
- Federal crimes tend to carry longer sentences and larger fines than state crimes.
- Federal law enforcement officers and prosecutors usually spend more time and effort on each case. This shows in the average conviction rate, which is around 97% for federal criminal cases.
- Federal criminal prosecutions tend to involve more complex legal and factual issues, and a larger volume of evidence. Learn more about federal criminal discovery.
- Pretrial release is an important factor, because federal cases can take a long time to resolve.
- In federal cases, there may be frequent opportunities for proffer sessions.
- For more information, read our article “What Makes Federal Cases Different?“
Given all of these factors, an effective defense in a federal criminal case requires a dedicated, skilled, and experienced federal criminal defense lawyer, who is familiar with the federal courts and the federal criminal law. Read our article “Finding the Best Attorney in a Federal Criminal Case” for more information on how to pick the right attorney for your case.
We have successfully represented numerous clients in federal court. We are experienced in:
- Access Device Fraud
- Accounting Fraud
- Aggravated Identity Theft
- Bank Fraud
- Bribery and Illegal Gratuity
- Computer Crimes
- Controlled Substances Act Prosecutions Against Healthcare Professionals
- False Statements
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA)
- Healthcare Fraud
- Immigration and Naturalization Fraud
- Money Laundering
- Mortgage Fraud
- Perjury Charges and Punishments
- Racketeering Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO)
- Securities Law Violations
- Social Security Fraud
- Tax Law Violations
- Mail and Wire Fraud
You may click on the above federal crimes to learn more, or call us today for a free phone consultation.
Legal Representation for Individuals Under Federal Criminal Investigation
In addition to defending individuals charged with federal crimes, our federal criminal defense practice frequently involves legal representation for individuals who are targets, subjects, or witnesses of a criminal investigation. In our experience, the criminal investigation stage is often the stage when attorneys have the greatest opportunity for creative lawyering, either to head off a criminal charge, or significantly limit the client’s exposure. While this stage is extremely important in a criminal case, it is often overlooked by clients who think that they do not need an attorney until they have been charged with a crime. Read our article “Federal Investigations: What Everyone Should Know” to learn more about criminal investigations by the federal government.
If you believe that you are under investigation for a federal crime, or if you have received a target letter or federal subpoena, do not wait to consult an attorney until you have been charged. The earlier you obtain a qualified and competent attorney to represent you, the greater the likelihood that your attorney will be able to make a difference and obtain a favorable outcome in your case.