Attorney Eugene Gorokhov
Eugene Gorokhov’s practice centers on federal criminal defense, with a special focus on white collar matters. Additionally, Mr. Gorokhov has been appointed to represent clients on a number of death penalty cases.
Mr. Gorokhov opened his own law practice one month after being admitted to the Bar. In 2009, he formed Burnham & Gorokhov, PLLC with his law school classmate Charles Burnham. Since then, they have worked together closely on a number of significant matters, achieving favorable results for clients. Some examples of current and past matters include:
- Representation of an individual charged with conspiracies to commit health care fraud, mail fraud, and violate the anti-kickback statute. Client acquitted by jury on all charges after a three-week trial in the US District Court for the District of Maryland.
- Representation of an individual federally charged with conspiracy to commit access device fraud and wire fraud in the Eastern District of Virginia. Acquittal by jury.
- Representation of a business owner charged in the largest single investigation and prosecution under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) in the “Africa Sting” case in DC federal court. After more than two years of litigation, all charges against the client were dropped.
- Representation of an individual charged with wire fraud arising from an alleged multi-million dollar gold fraud scheme in the Eastern District of Michigan. All charges against the client were dismissed.
- Representation an alleged Russian agent charged with violating the Foreign Agent Registration Act. The client was released to Russia shortly after arrest and plea on a sentence of time served.
- Representation of senior VP and general counsel of a large trade organization who was a target in federal fraud investigation in DC. No charges were filed.
- Representation at sentencing and on appeal of individual charged with felon in possession of a firearm. Secured reversal of the sentence after US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit found that the government breached the plea agreement by seeking an illegal sentence and the district court failed to consider relevant mitigating factors.
- Representation of individuals serving life sentences in Compassionate Release proceedings. In two cases, secured reduction of sentence to 30 years.
- Representation of an individual charged federally with felony conspiracy to impersonate a diplomat and to produce false identification documents in the Eastern District of Virginia. Case resolved with negotiated plea to a misdemeanor, and sentence of probation.
- Representation of an veteran Bronze Star recipient federally charged with felony distribution of cocaine in the District of Maryland. Charges dismissed after client completed pretrial diversion.
- Representation of a business owner on charges of selling counterfeit goods and copyright infringement. Charges dismissed at preliminary hearing.
- Representation of the executive director of a Washington, DC nonprofit organization, targeted in a federal fraud investigation. No charges were filed.
- Representation of a pharmacist targeted in an investigation for unlawful distribution of controlled substances. No charges were filed.
- Representation of an IT specialist targeted in a fraud investigation in connection with employment as a contractor to a large publicly traded company. No charges were filed.
- Representation of an individual subject in a high-profile securities fraud case. No charges were filed.
Mr. Gorokhov has also represented clients at the appellate level throughout the United States, including the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth, Tenth and Eleventh Circuits, the District of Columbia Court of Appeals, and the Supreme Court of Virginia.
Areas of Practice
- White Collar Criminal Defense
- Federal Criminal Defense
- Government Investigations
- Grand Jury Matters
- General Criminal Defense
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court District of Maryland
- George Mason University School of Law, Arlington, Virginia
- Law Journal: Civil Rights Law Journal, Senior Articles Editor
- University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland