Attorney Jonathan Knowles
Jonathan Knowles’ practice includes both criminal defense and civil disputes. He represents those accused of crimes at both the trial and appellate level, primarily in federal courts. Mr. Knowles also represents plaintiffs and defendants in litigation, arbitration, and other forms of civil dispute resolution.
During his time at Columbia Law School, Mr. Knowles performed pro bono work on behalf of many individuals and organizations, from homeless New Yorkers to New York City itself. After graduating, Mr. Knowles went to work for a national law firm, focusing on intellectual property disputes and other forms of commercial litigation. Mr. Knowles also has experience before a wide range of specialist courts and administrative agencies. Ultimately, Mr. Knowles chose to pursue a career that would have more of an impact on those in need of legal assistance.
Since beginning at Burnham & Gorokhov, Mr. Knowles has represented individuals in many criminal matters, from the earliest stages of a case to assisting at trial. He has also worked on several requests for post-conviction relief, securing a ten-year sentence reduction for one client.
At the time of writing, Mr. Knowles’ application for admission to the D.C. bar is pending.
- New York
- U.S. Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- DC Bar Application Pending
Practicing under supervision pursuant to D.C. Court of Appeals Rule 49(c)(8)
- Columbia Law School, New York, New York
- Law Journals: Columbia Science & Technology Law Review, Blog Editor; Columbia Journal of Environmental Law, Articles Editor
- Academic Honors: James Kent Scholar, 2017-2018 and 2015-2016; Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar, 2016-2017
- Carleton College, Northfield, Minnesota
- B.A. cum laude
- Major: Biology
- Concentration: Biochemistry
- New York State Bar Association
- New York City Bar Association
- Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts